fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Fabric release candidate 1 out and **on PyPI**!

From: Steve Steiner (listsin)
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Fabric release candidate 1 out and **on PyPI**!
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:12:46 -0500

On Nov 2, 2009, at 9:02 AM, Jeff Forcier wrote:

Hi all,

Robey has just released Paramiko 1.7.6 which includes (among other
changes) the fix for our SSHException problem.

We shall see...

I haven't tested it yet myself, but plan to once I get back into
things (still stuck in bed/on drugs, and trying to keep typing to a
minimum. heh.)

Hope you're feeling better!

but I mostly wanted to get this out there so anyone who
has the time/inclination, can grab a copy and see if it introduces any
new problems.

Since the current 0.9 codebase has 1.7.4 included in it, I think the
process needs to be:

1. install Fab 0.9rc1 or later, if you haven't already
2. install Paramiko ==1.7.6 via easy_install/pip (which should
override/upgrade the vendorized 1.7.4. I think.)
3. Double-check the assumption in #2 by doing "import paramiko ;
print(paramiko.__version__)"
4. Run some fab tasks, or the test suite if you have the deps
installed, and see how things work.

Given the realities of this stuff (i.e. new code =~ new bugs) I do not
realistically expect to revert the vendorization at this time; I'll
probably wait until 0.9.1 or 1.0. But I'll need your help in testing
the new Paramiko regardless :)

Jeff, I'll give this a whirl, probably tonight when I get a few minutes. I'll diff the Paramiko revs to see if they changed a lot; no idea.

In any case, I think your abundance of caution is well warranted and I wouldn't be in a big hurry to undo the way we had to do it by including the whole thing in the Fabric build.

It took a very long time, and lots of non-progress on the Paramiko side, to have to finally come to that very sub-optimal arrangement. I wouldn't be in a big hurry to trust the "new improved!" version, regardless.