fab-user

[Fab-user] Jumping between roles

From: Corry Haines
Subject: [Fab-user] Jumping between roles
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 09:30:04 -0700

After trying out a few (failed) iterations, it seems that I should ask the mailing list if this is even possible.

In short, I would like to have functions call other functions, and when the new function starts, it is applied to distinct roles. An example follows:

@roles("a")
def entry_function():
    # Run some code specific to role a
    second_function()
    # More role a specific code

@roles("b")
def second_function():
    # Run some code specific to role b

When I try this, it seems that there is a "First Wins" behavior, and role "a" is used for second_function. This happens regardless of the roles specified on the command line.

Is it possible for the command line to specify a list of roles, and have some of the internal functions operate on a distinct set of roles? A use case is a deployment function (the entry function) that needs to update the RPM repo before running anything else.

Thanks,
Corry