fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Missing output in Jenkins

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Missing output in Jenkins
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 16:17:03 -0700

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Corry Haines <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ah, it seems that if the puts() function is not told to flush, the output
> just never appears in jenkins. Very odd.

I'm no expert in these things but Python will buffer things
differently depending on what is being written to and what's going on.
A classic case is when you have a fast-moving 'for' loop containing a
regular 'print' statement -- in some terminals you won't see *any*
output until the for loop terminates. Thus the flush option for
puts().

So whatever is going on between Python and Jenkins is preventing
Python from knowing when to flush to its stdout file handle, most
likely. Most of the time Fabric is used in "regular" terminals, so
we're still running into occasional issues with wrapped Fabric
sessions like buildbot/Jenkins setups and etc.