fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] idempotency contrib

From: Jeff Schwaber
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] idempotency contrib
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 00:06:26 -0700

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:13 AM, Ronan Amicel <address@hidden> wrote:

> After writing several fabfiles myself, I felt the need to factor out a
> number of commonly needed operations (creating files, users, etc.),
> and I put them in a module that I called "fabtools".

> https://github.com/ronnix/fabtools

Ronan,

That looks pretty cool. The code and declarative syntax both appear
excellent. I do have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of cutesy names,
and icanhaz bothers me a bit, though.

It looks, actually like only a little of what I built overlaps with
yours, since you don't (yet) have symlinks or gitrepo control, and I
hear Wraithan is building virtualenv stuff, which neither of us have.
I'll think about building my stuff into your tool, since you've got
lots of stuff I don't have, though I'm not sure I'll have time
immediately.

I'd really like to see an idempotency layer included in
fabric.contrib, or similar long-term, rather than as a separate
project, if the fabric people think that's a good idea.

Jeff