fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Python version poll (PLEASE respond!), news re splinter p

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Python version poll (PLEASE respond!), news re splinter projects + Fab 2, & PyCon
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:03:35 -0800

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Jeff Forcier <address@hidden> wrote:

> ## Fabric 2
>
> [...] A backwards incompatible release is an inevitability.
>
> [...] We may rewrite moderate chunks [...]

Clarification: there will not be (m)any enormous/disruptive changes --
the same use cases will work, just with modified/improved APIs. We'll
also include transitional methods when it's easy to do so.

For example, we'll move from host strings to host objects (eliminating
internal cruft) and split "env" into multiple objects/namespaces (less
confusion, user errors and bugs.)

But we'll ensure the "quick script / no boilerplate" use case still
works, by (for example) preserving a "address@hidden:port" host-creation
shortcut.

End result should be a much improved infrastructure (+ a better
library-use story) without turning into something totally alien.

Thanks,
Jeff

--
Jeff Forcier