fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Finding out which hosts are alive

From: Carlos García
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Finding out which hosts are alive
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 09:52:45 +0200

I think --skip-bad-hosts would do the work.

Try:

fab DoTheUpdates --skip-bad-hosts -H <comma-separated list of hosts>

Regards

Greetings. I want a script to do an update to all of the hosts that are alive, but not spend time on ones that aren't. I tried the following as a way of filling env.hosts:

@hosts("address@hidden", "address@hidden")
def PickHosts():
    PickAttempt = run("echo")
    if PickAttempt.succeeded:
        (env.hosts).append(env.host_string)
        print("Adding {}".format(env.host_string))
PickHosts()

def DoTheUpdates(): ...

However, running this with a command line of "fab DoTheUpdates", prompts:
   No hosts found. Please specify (single) host string for connection:

How can I get the above code to work? Or if this is too much of a kludge, what is the proper way to have DoTheUpdates try a bunch of hosts but gracefully stop each time it can't log into one?

--Paul Hoffman