fab-user

[Fab-user] fabric practically not working after installation on Mac OS 1

From: Johannes Techel
Subject: [Fab-user] fabric practically not working after installation on Mac OS 10.13.5
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 08:57:06 +0200

Hello,

I have a very basic problem with the fabric library, after I installed it on my mac via pip.

$ pip install fabric

(I already tried it with sudo. Makes no difference)

Installation worked fine I think.

Johannes$ fab -V

Fabric 2.2.2

Paramiko 2.4.1

Invoke 1.1.1

Johannes$ python

Python 2.7.15 (default, Jul 23 2018, 21:27:06)

[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 9.1.0 (clang-902.0.39.2)] on darwin

>>> import fabric

As you see, my computer does find the module. But I can't do anything with it...

If I follow the fabric tutorial (http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.14/tutorial.html), and try the very first step -creating the fabfile.py with the hello task- It always fails with:

$ fab hello

No idea what 'hello' is!

I am in the right directory and the file exits. I followed exactly the steps given in the tutorial.

I also asked a colleague of mine if it works on his machine. It also doesn't.

Does anybody have a clue what the problem might be? I wasn't able to find a solution anywhere online.

Cheers

Johannes