fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Fabric 2.4.0 problem - Run method is not being finished

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Fabric 2.4.0 problem - Run method is not being finished
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 17:49:18 -0500

Hi Mateusz,

The problem with `su` is that it spawns a new interactive shell, expecting a human user to continue interacting with that shell during a single overall SSH session. Tools like Fabric spawn a new session for every new `run()` or similar, as described in this FAQ:

Going by my local `man su` it looks like `su` can take a `-c` argument to run its subshell that way (same as directly running the user's login shell with `-c`, which usually means "run this one interpreted string and exit").

So at a basic level you should be able to solve this by replacing:

    dss.run("su", watchers=[...])
    dss.run("whoami")

with:

    dss.run("su -c whoami", watchers=[...])

though you'd necessarily need to have ALL subsequent commands mixing in the `su -c` and `watchers=` bits; possibly a good spot for a subroutine or subclass method.

We've got a `prefix` context manager that works well for commands that can be strung together with `&&`, but we don't yet have an equivalent for this sort of use case. We'll probably get one eventually!

Best,
Jeff