fab-user

Re: 'fabric1' and 'fabric2' packages

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: 'fabric1' and 'fabric2' packages
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 09:14:50 -0400

OK, well some small updates.
- Debian has indeed closed the door on new python2 packages, trying to
eliminate python2 from their ship stack altogether

Not unexpected, but thanks anyway for asking them!

- Arch doesn't seem to have any problem with it, but the default install
for everything is python2. That means I'll need to re-add a python2
version of paramiko as a dependency (and maybe invoke? I don't think
so).

Fabric 1 does not need Invoke for anything but development tasks. Paramiko has not dropped Python 2 yet so the latest versions ought to function fine for this.

I wrote an Arch package, which installs and starts up Fabric 1.14.1
running on Python 2 fine. However, it looks like there are some bugs in
this version--running it on my production stuff, ssh output hangs
partway through. I suspect some bad interaction with paramiko, or maybe
a buggy paramiko version is being selected. I'd like to fix it, but I'm
feeling a bit lost on tracking down the problem honestly. I'll take a
break and figure out how to get more debug info later.

This class of issue is a longstanding rare-but-never-vanquished frustration with Paramiko. I'd definitely make sure the Paramiko version is a recent (re: list of releases; I have not put any out in the last N months...) release.

--
Jeff Forcier
Unix sysadmin; Python engineer