fab-user

Re: 'fabric1' and 'fabric2' packages

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: 'fabric1' and 'fabric2' packages
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 15:46:10 -0400

Once a package is popular
enough, it will get "promoted" to the main community repo. That should
either never happen since there's not many fabric1 users, or happen
after python3 migration.

To avoid also making python2-pytest-relaxed and python2-invoke,
python2-paramiko doesn't run a test suite. Unfortunate but made my life
easier.

Thanks for the updates  - makes sense.

That's basically it for now, ping me if/when 1.x is working on Python 3?

Keep an eye on the list - I expect most of it to get worked out on here, certainly it will be announced post merge.

Once that's working (as long as it's in the next couple months) I'll:
- Update fabric1 in the AUR
- Delete python2-paramiko from the AUR, since nothing else is using it.
- Talk to the Arch Linux 'fabric' maintainer about renaming fabric ->
fabric2
- Submit a fabric1 package to Debian and talk to them about renaming
fabric -> fabric2

Seems sensible - thanks!

P.S. I looked at my fabfile thoroughly over the last few weeks. I have a
(short!) list of things blocking me from upgrading, if you would be
interested in specifics.

As long as you skim the upgrading doc (http://www.fabfile.org/upgrading.html) to see what's already a known issue, by all means. Feel free to send that to just-me if you want to avoid the noise for other folks.

--
Jeff Forcier
Unix sysadmin; Python engineer