[Fenfire-dev] address@hidden: [Gzz] OWL Tools Review]

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: [Fenfire-dev] address@hidden: [Gzz] OWL Tools Review]
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 00:10:59 +0300

----- Forwarded message from Howard Bender <address@hidden> -----

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:20:24 -0400
To: address@hidden
From: Howard Bender <address@hidden>
Subject: [Gzz] OWL Tools Review

Hello -

Now that OWL has been moved to Candidate Recommendations status by the W3C
(see letter below), we're reviewing our Tools library for the proper
designation and placement of each tool.  We show the current version of
Fenfire Loom to be at https://savannah.nongnu.org/files/?group=fenfire.

Please help us with answers to a few questions

1. What is the functional status of this tool?
2. Is this the correct version?  If not, please supply the correct address.
2. Does this version fully support OWL?
3. Is the code open source?
4. Is there supporting documentation?  If so, please supply Web links.
5. Are there any restrictions for people to use this version?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Howard

Howard Bender
Senior Software Architect
BBN Technologies, LLC
1300 N. 17th Street,  Suite 400
Arlington, VA  22209
Voice   (703) 284-1264
Fax     (703) 284-1281

Colleagues,

As most of you already know, OWL was officially moved by the W3C into
Candidate Recommendation status.  See www.w3c.org for details.  This is a
huge win for the program and for DARPA.  My congratulations to Jim and
Murray for their leadership, and to all the DAML program participants who
did the heavy lifting to make this happen.  Nice work!

Now that OWL is the standard, I think it is important for all of the
ontologies, software, tools, etc., that are funded by the DAML program to
be converted from DAML+OIL to OWL.  This is something that Murray directed
at the last PI meeting, and I want to reiterate it.  At the October PI
meeting I would like all active program software and ontologies to be fully
OWL.  (After the PI meeting, anything that is on the DAML website and not
OWL will be moved off and archived.)  In addition to transitioning the DAML
community to the new standard, the OWL software and ontologies that we
produce can also help supply the evidence of concrete implementation that
the W3C needs to move OWL the next step from Candidate Recommendation.  The
conversion itself should be quite easy given the massive overlap between
DAML+OIL and OWL, but if you need questions answered or tool support for
the conversion please email Mike Dean (address@hidden) and he can assist you.

Again, great job everyone.

Thanks,
Mark