Re: [Fenfire-dev] PEG swamp_easier--benja: An easier API for Swamp

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] PEG swamp_easier--benja: An easier API for Swamp
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:09:56 +0300

Matti Katila wrote:
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
But Swamp must also be easy to use, because it is
the API that everyone hacking Fenfire will have to learn
in order to do anything, so it is vital that it doesn't
have a steep learning curve.

What's wrong with it currently?-)

When I write it, I have to think about how to write each function first in order to get the correct variant; when I read it, I don't understand immediately what some piece of code does, but have to figure it out. It's like solving an equation with its 1s, As, Xs and gobbledygook method names (well, I know what findN is, but it's still hard to read because it doesn't follow Java conventions that I'm used to).

What I would need to find Swamp usable is method names that say what they do, so that when reading a piece of code, it's immediately clear what happens.

(Having less superfluous syntax for iterating is one part of that.)

I believe this API will be substantially simpler to use
than the one we have at the moment, and not lose
anything w.r.t. speed. In fact, it may speed things up
in the future, because we can cache the ``Triples`` objects.

I see reading and writing subj./pred./obj./ very irritating because then I need to remember the order of RDF triplet.

Hm. For me, that is completely natural.

In fact refering to the components by their *role* seems more natural than their position in the triple, which is basically arbitrary...

Anyway, I don't have any cons for iterating trough triplets instead of nodes and the idea for this peg was it, wasn't it? (Please make another peg for method names.. :)

I've split the PEG in two as requested.

- Benja