[Fenfire-dev] Textures

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: [Fenfire-dev] Textures
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:44:46 +0300

Just a brief update:

The texture problem appears worse than I'd thought - the solution
I tried, of keeping fixed textures and just updating them, apparently
didn't work at *ALL*: the driver didn't update the version of the texture
that the display card was using.

And since we get the font bug if we createTexture and deleteTexture a lot,
I'm now thinking of a rather radical solution: uncompressed textures.
I can't be sure beforehand it'll work (last week taught me never to expect
anything to work...) but I think there's a greater chance there.

This means at LEAST 2x space increase in memory (from 4bpt to 8bpt), and
4x if we want color, unless we do color with trickery, using a lower-resolution
color texture to supplement the high-resolution BW texture.

I'll also try to make a test case of the latter error to send to NVIDIA -
if they fix any of the problems later, we will have at least one working
algorithm ;)

        Tuomas