Re: [Fenfire-dev] PEG animation_api--mudyc: Animation Layer API

From: Matti Katila
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] PEG animation_api--mudyc: Animation Layer API
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:38:32 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 08:11:34PM +0300, Matti Katila wrote:
> > I abandon this peg because of count of unresolved issues and the
> > misunderstanding of the idea between developers.
> Please don't abandon it now - I do see it as a really worthwhile
> thing to do.  I know it can be difficult to reach understanding
> of all the details of it, but it's important to do this to advance
> the state of the APIs. And that's the reason we **have** PEGs:
> with all complicated systems, there *will* be lots of issues.
> Nothing is as simple as anyone'd think it is. That's why the issues
> need to be made explicit and discussed.
>
> I'm really sorry if you've felt my tone being too adversarial in
> this discussion: remember that for PEGs, the role of the others
> is to be devil's advocate.

Hmm, my reason for abandoning was that I coudn't keep all the issues in my
hands anymore to enlarge the scope of the peg to fulfill the idea which (I
think) you were pushing it towards.

I still think that PEGs as any other programming product should be very
small "patches". That's the way to go to get stabel software.

> Even if I somewhat agree with something
> but just have some doubts about some part of a thing, I must
> fight to get those doubts resolved instead of burying them.

I do understand this and it's not a problem for me. Problem is that
I like small changes and I didn't have the whole picture of the api
with all levels in issues.

Variables in the peg:

VobScene
Windows
Timing

I tried to keep the peg about what we currently see, i.e.,
VobScene and 1 window because we have irregular edge.

If there's multiple windows there's multiple vobscenes and various
timings, urgh.

So I didn't really find out how to keep all of animation parts
*without* meddling with multiple windows.

Animation layers(in my view of point):

PEG's layer                    windows layer           low-level

 1 window and VobScene  --->   Multiple windows --->  UpdateManager
 (timing will be added later?)   (+ timing?)

Also, I think it was quite hard for others to understand this PEG and
interface because of it was not connected to any current interface.
Setting a new interface in the air is just a bit strange.

Either, I didn't find how AbstractUpdateManager method's would be hided if
not all variables are used, i.e., multiple windows and problems with them.

Well, I think it's not right time to write howto and examples into
the java-doc. I can do it separately when we publish libvob 1.0.

> 2) If there are problems (as with arch, or PEGs),
> I really want to help change things so that they won't make you feel bad,

I see some problems with arch:

- I enjoy of reading other developers code (I'm still very trainee
  programmer). But reading it like old news isn't fun, so reading
  cvscommits doesn't help ;)  Also, it would be good to say just in time:
  "Hey, wait a minute - what does that code do? - document it, please" or
  "Hmm, I think you have bug over there" or "Have you got nuts to commit
  that code?-)"

- looking backward of the changes is not possible as easy as with cvs:
 http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/fenfire/fenfire/org/fenfire/Fen.java

- archbot should notice merges from mainline and not print them out.

> 3) The animation API is a good idea that just has a lot of details
> to be worked out.

I try to think how can I represent it to other developers with
acceptance.

   -Matti