Re: [Fenfire-dev] Re: [vos-d] a 3D interface vision

From: Reed Hedges
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] Re: [vos-d] a 3D interface vision
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:18:34 -0400

Hi Tuomas

Quoting Tuomas Lukka <address@hidden>:
> My point is that with a limited-resolution display, and with a mouse and
> keyboard,
> 3D interfaces just don't make sense - the "feeling of space" you talk about
> just doesn't happen. .

Well I don't think it's either/or. That is, there is a spectrum of feeling of
space or feeling of immersion.  Obviously in a CAVE (walls of room are
projection screens) or a head mounted display, you will get the full feeling of
immersion.

But how many movies have you watched on video on a small TV screen, and still
been completely absorbed by it?  Obviously this is a function of the
storytelling ability of the director and actors, but it is still very
possible.    Same with FPS games on a computer, though there maybe you end up
inching closer to the screen until your nose almost touches, most of the time :)

Simply having that (mouse)->(camera POV) control loop helps a lot.

And then theres sound, which is unfortunately neglected by us visual bipeds in
our visual culture. It's important though.

I won't argue that bigger displays wouldn't be great though.   (How much are
LCD projectors going for on EBay these days? Looks like about US$300-400 for an
800x600, medium brightness...)

(I also have an opinion on whether we should use immersive HMDs -- they are
bad -- but we can talk about that if you want :)

reed

--
Reed Hedges
address@hidden