Re: [Fenfire-dev] Re: [vos-d] a 3D interface vision

From: Alatalo Toni
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] Re: [vos-d] a 3D interface vision
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:14:09 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Reed Hedges wrote:

> Now that I've got my computer working again, I'd like to try out FenPDF
> and gZigZag.  Are they available somewhere to download?

yes, meaning no and yes :)

gzigzag has not been developed for .. hm a year? and the latest release is
.. what, two or three years old? but it's still usable and stable etc. it
was first renamed gzz for trademark reasons and finally zz-structure was
abandoned totally for patent reasons (as you might read in
http://himalia.it.jyu.fi/ffdoc/fenfire/history/Milestones.gen.html)
http://gzigzag.sourceforge.net/ seems to exist though and .. hm download
links are broken 'cause gzigzag.org is not there anymore but the files
seem to be at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=513 .
the old 'gentle introduction' seems to be at least in that old cvs,
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/gzigzag/gzigzag/Documentation/Gentle_Introduction/
oh and gzigzag needs only a JVM to run on, uses awt. unfortunately it
never made it to debian (history doc. tells that no one bothered to rename
the stable code..)

FenPDF, on the other hand, is not released yet, but coming quite close!
Fenfire just switched from cvs to arch (the web page nor the savannah page
does not reflect his yet, and cvs is synched sometimes) but i added the
instructions for anon. access via arch to
http://himalia.it.jyu.fi/ffdoc/fenfire/pegboard/cvs_to_tla--tjl/peg.gen.html
arch is very handy in the sense that there is the 'ff' (Full Fenfire)
meta-archive which gives you all the subprojects needed (that Matti
mentioned in his post). of the other dependencies, well, a lot of quite
normal stuff like freetype-dev etc. in addition to what Matti said. with
the release, i suspect there is a debian package coming..
there is some documentation in
http://himalia.it.jyu.fi/ffdoc/fenfire/FenPDF.gen.html and a buglist in
the source archive etc. and a helpful ircnet channel, like Matti said :)
for the FenMM (mindmapping) the dependencies are pretty much the same
(hardest is getting the Libvob GL version to work, as MM and PDF don't
(and at least for PDF, won't) work with AWT only)

of Fenfire Loom (the rdf browser, about to come an editor, perhaps via
integration with MM) there is a release, and it works on awt too - see the
announcement in
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/fenfire-rdf-discuss/2003-03/msg00003.html

> reed

~Toni