[Fenfire-dev] plan

From: Matti Katila
Subject: [Fenfire-dev] plan
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:23:34 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

For research plan I think we need to make decision of what we are going to
research and have a strict timetable. Timetable because of some things are
not fun and that's why we need kind of mirror for ourselfs.

I want to have a clear goal for this year and then split the year for some
minor goals. Those minor goals I can split for my daily goals and so on.
Ad hoc researching is not a way if we are going to complete the big goal,
ff. This years goal can change by the year if we are convinced of it and
make collective decision of it. We would just make a branch from the old
plan.

Links and items
---------------

I feel that this years main topic is links and items. I don't
remember has Benja said it aloud but he'll probably say if it is not it.

Why? How? What for?
Why things what we construct are useful?
Why we use them, why not?

I think that we need not to have a rough imagine.
We need smooth imagine, then we can design the application.

Time sharing
------------

We need to have sharp scissors for time sharing eye.

We can do things like:
- things what we have planned
- things that we feel important and collectively make a decision to have a
  branch in our plan for it.

Not do things like:
- port c code: we only accept patches.
- stupid speed improvements for irrelevant stuff: we only accept patches
  from others.

Formal meeting
--------------

I think we should start to have a formal meeting in every two weeks.

Metadata
--------

For some reason jvk seems to be good source of *good* ideas how to make
the product better because he is so good at analyzing things aloud ;)
For example in our FenPDF article space there are items but basicly no
metadata. There needs to be some middle way for tjl's "we don't do AI" and
all is metadata.

Pool control

One question in my mind is how should UI perform the pool control.
Tjl had at some point some ideas, i don't know.

Manuscripts

I want also have a schedule for manuscripts. In which
conferences should we participate and things like that.

    -Matti