Re: [Fenfire-dev] plan

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] plan
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:42:02 +0200

Matti Katila wrote:
| For research plan I think we need to make decision of what we are
going to
| research and have a strict timetable. Timetable because of some things
are
| not fun and that's why we need kind of mirror for ourselfs.

The English plan I wrote had a timetable, how do you feel about it?

The most important goal is to get Loom to run first as a hyperstructure
editor, akin to the old Gzz client.

| Links and items
| ---------------
|
| I feel that this years main topic is links and items. I don't
| remember has Benja said it aloud but he'll probably say if it is not it.

I don't understand this. What kind of links?

This definitely doesn't sound like a goal?

| Why? How? What for?
| Why things what we construct are useful?
| Why we use them, why not?
|
| I think that we need not to have a rough imagine.
| We need smooth imagine, then we can design the application.

Are you saying we have to have ff all figured out before we can
implement it? I don't agree.

| Time sharing
| ------------
|
| We need to have sharp scissors for time sharing eye.
|
| We can do things like:
| - things what we have planned
| - things that we feel important and collectively make a decision to
have a
|   branch in our plan for it.
|
| Not do things like:
| - port c code: we only accept patches.
| - stupid speed improvements for irrelevant stuff: we only accept patches
|   from others.

Fine I guess.

| Formal meeting
| --------------
|
| I think we should start to have a formal meeting in every two weeks.

What should we discuss there? When do we start?

| Metadata
| --------
|
| For some reason jvk seems to be good source of *good* ideas how to make
| the product better because he is so good at analyzing things aloud ;)
| For example in our FenPDF article space there are items but basicly no
| metadata. There needs to be some middle way for tjl's "we don't do AI"
and
| all is metadata.

What do you mean by 'item'? FenPDF does not place emphasis on the
concept of an 'item' as defined in the JoDI article submission.

Is the point of this topic "Develop a way to store metadata in FenPDF,"
or "In general, we need to think about what we think about metadata?" I
don't think that the latter is important; metadata is just a subset of
all RDF data, and which RDF data is metadata depends on how you define
it, I don't think we need to think about that too deeply.

| Pool control
| ------------
|
| One question in my mind is how should UI perform the pool control.
| Tjl had at some point some ideas, i don't know.

What kind of control?

| Manuscripts
|
| I want also have a schedule for manuscripts. In which
| conferences should we participate and things like that.

I don't like this, I don't think it makes sense to plan articles for a
whole year ahead, many deadlines at the end of the year won't even have
cfps yet.

- - Benaj