Re: [Fenfire-dev] non-profit association vs. co-operative

From: Matti Katila
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] non-profit association vs. co-operative
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:15:58 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Benja Fallenstein wrote:

> Just one thing to add, I guess--
>
> Matti Katila wrote:
> | Association:
> | + ideological point
> | + May be easier to apply support from government and EU sources.
>
> Also to get support from companies and private persons, a) because they
> know that the money will go into the project and not into private
> pockets, and b) because they are tax-deductible if they're in the
> 850-25000 Euro range, and we can apply for donations above that to be
> tax-deductible too. (At least I guess that's the way it is; on IRC,
> Matti wasn't clear about whether it's the donors that can tax-deduct the
> donations, or us that do not have to pay tax on them?)

And I must correct that all donations are not tax-deductible in Finland
because they don't improve trade.  The association can give donations
tax-deductible.

> I think in the long term, if a couple of companies form around Fenfire,
> getting donations from them might be a sensible way to fund further
> development...

Sure

> | + voluntary shares
>
> What's the benefit here?
>
> Hm, with association, you cannot ask for your money back. But on the
> other hand, for managing the association, that's good of course -- if we
> have little money we cannot be hurt by lots of money being asked back --
> Toni made the point that that could be planning hell (you never know
> when people might ask for it).

I do understand that. With association we need to pay taxes to get funding
from members if we don't use membership fee. Maybe it's ok because I
think with voluntary share it's the same. The tax system is so ill.

   -Matti