Re: [Fenfire-dev] Summary regarding single branch

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] Summary regarding single branch
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:12:01 +0200

Matti Katila wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
I said that both Loom and Fenfire need to be changed.

Yes, but I see now problem if you first fix fenfire and then use the fix in loom. It's more easier to read the commit diff if it is splitted to these two slices. First with fenfire "add new feature". Me as a auditor can then see whether the change is ugly nor break anything. Simple for you or simple for me if both commits are in one chunk?

Well, we seem to have different views. It seems stupid to review one half of the change, in one project, without seeing the corresponding half of the change, namely how the other project changes / uses the change in the first project. But that's a matter of taste, I guess.

Why can't it be made in both projects at the same time?

So where is the real problem? Do you have limited network capacity or something? We need to keep loom as a private archive and that is not a problem either.

Huh?

I said that

I want to do it the way you say, and therefore, I want to be allowed to change both projects at the same time :-)

and you replied that

Yes I understand that you want to change but I think you need first to make the change in fenfire and then in ex-loom because of ex-loom depends of fenfire.

so *you* said there was a problem with changing both of the same time. I didn't understand why, so I asked

> Why can't it be made in both projects at the same time?

I don't understand your question in response; I'm not saying there's a problem, you are?

I mean, as I said, I'd like atomic commits but I can live with the current way of comitting the change in the two projects independently, but I want to continue making the two changes at the same time. You say that I should first change Fenfire and later (how much later? an hour? a day? a week?) change Loom. I don't want to do that; I want to change both projects at the same time. You say I shouldn't. So it seems to be you who sees a problem, not me.

If you want to know why I want to make the change at the same time, well, I don't want to have to wait for some artificial time until I can continue coding...

- Benja