Frame constructors (Re: [Fenfire-dev] CLI)

From: Alatalo Toni
Subject: Frame constructors (Re: [Fenfire-dev] CLI)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:52:58 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Benja Fallenstein wrote:

> Actually that's why I'm not sure it's here to stay, because all the
> options make code using it hard to read: "new Frame(lightColor,
> darkColor, 1, 0, true, true, false)" for example.

this of course reminded of the niceness in Python, where as you probably
well know you could do it like Frame(lightColor, darkColor, 1,
scrolling=True, something=False, a_very_rare_option=12)

the good new is that Jython can be used to achieve that with Java!
when discussing this on irc, Tuukka found:

10:41 <@tuukkah> "javax.swing.JProgressBar(stringPainted=1,
foreground=color.green) automatically invokes the setStringPainted() and
setForeground() methods of the new JProgressBar instance" --
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/03/27/jython.html?page=2

are the downsides to that? i suppose performance is no issue, if/as these
objects are not constructed that intensively? and of course the Java
constructors can still be called directly when performance matters.

~Toni

P.S. i've found the overall discussion interesting, also because have had
to struggle with similar kinds of issues when packaging our internal
pieces of software to different interoperable packages, modules and
applications .. am planning to fetch the main tree later this week and
perhaps try brining it (e.g. libvob) to that soup somehow then