Re: [Fenfire-dev] 2nd request for comments for rules for non-profit asso

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] 2nd request for comments for rules for non-profit association
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:09:47 +0300

Alatalo Toni wrote:
i definitely don't want to nitpick about relatively unimportant things,
(like the name ;) but want the things move forward rapidly (to get the
software released and further development going etc. etc.), but:

I'm definitely not going to reply to relatively unimportant nitpicks (like the name), but: =-) =-)

The association's name is *The Fenfire Foundation ry* and the seat is

.. is there some rationale for calling the association a foundation?

Here's the M-W dictionary entry for "foundation:"

   2 : a basis (as a tenet, principle, or axiom) upon which something
   stands or is supported <the foundations of geometry> <the rumor is
   without foundation in fact>

   3 a : funds given for the permanent support of an institution :
   ENDOWMENT b : an organization or institution established by endowment
   with provision for future maintenance

   4 : an underlying base or support; especially : the whole masonry
   substructure of a building

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=foundation&x=0&y=0

The meaning you're thinking of, of course, is 3b, which is also the legal definition of säätiö, I suppose. However, in Free Software, we have the Free Software Foundation and the Apache Software Foundation, neither of which are "that" type of foundation as far as I know, so I thought we could name it in the same vein.

I like it because it sounds good :-)

as foundations are separate entities according to the law (right?),

Not according to American law, I believe, and certainly not according to Finnish law: why would it use the English term? ;-)

might the officials even object that?

I'm hoping that the English term does *not* have a legal meaning in Finland, and so I hope that (some legally opaque block) + "ry" will be fine ;-)

- Benja