Re: [Fenfire-dev] Re: Reimplementing the structure view with lobs

From: Matti Katila
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] Re: Reimplementing the structure view with lobs
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:56:43 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:17:28 +0200 (EET), Matti Katila
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I think we shall reimplement the structure view with layout objects.
>> Then all mouse events will go trough the *right* path to event handlers.
> That would be great if it were fast enough.

;)

> I've been thinking about this too; perhaps the key is to do the
> optimization we discussed when I was in jkl last fall, about having
> some system so that we do not need to create different Lob objects for
> everything we show on the screen.

How about the TreeLob? Did you finished it? It has recursive manner for
child things as would this structure lob do.

Layout objects have a manner to have everything ready before rendering.
Therefore we could not easily use vob scene to pick up the structure
points. But, only the inner lob knows where the structure points are.
Otoh, it's ok to know the exact structure for layout objects but not
actually the way it looks on screen.

Let's assume we can do the previous tray like structure lob. How to make
it fast enought to change between scenes? We could use couple of them and
interpolate between them. I think this is trivial(I'm assuming that it's
trivial or it's impossible) if we don't show spatial views' buoys that are
started from ring 1+n buoys.

> I think we should first get this demo ready before starting to work on
> that, what do you think?

I don't see a reason for it. But I see more potential possibilities
to use layout objects when can do it gloriously :)

   -Matti