Re: [Fenfire-dev] Yet another libvob API: LWJGL

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] Yet another libvob API: LWJGL
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:14:06 +0200

Hi Matti!

Nice to see a non-spam mail on this list :-)

On 1/11/06, Matti Katila <address@hidden> wrote:
> The speed of AWT api is not enough, e.g., with
> scaled images. OpenGL would be the right solution for speed.

True.

> Currently there's not many who can work on native gl libvob. The code is
> portable but there's none who is willing to do the port. If a port is
> done to different environment will there be anyone who will be the
> maintainer?

True.

> So, why not take a portable bindings to OpenGL - say LWJGL - and use that
> rather than make our own native bindings. I think it would make it easier
> for new comers and make fenfire more platform independent. We would like
> to have more users when we have something to provide after all.

It would be very nice if it were fast enough. However, Tuomas'
original reason for not using an OpenGL interface from Java was speed
-- I understood that JNI has an overhead that we cannot afford for
every OpenGL call. Has that changed?

> This would need some work of course. Many of the OpenGL things have been
> done natively for some reason. These include at least fonts, textures,
> drawing loop and coordinatesystems. One may wonder whether it would
> became too slow with Java. I don't see a reason after having seen java
> Quake and tribaltrouble.

Those have been done and work? Ok, it sounds worth a try! I can't
judge whether these are similar enough in requirements, but it would
be great if this worked.

Are you volunteering? :-)

- Benja