Re: [Fenfire-dev] Yet another libvob API: LWJGL

From: Matti Katila
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] Yet another libvob API: LWJGL
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:27:41 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> > So, why not take a portable bindings to OpenGL - say LWJGL - and use that
> > rather than make our own native bindings. I think it would make it easier
> > for new comers and make fenfire more platform independent. We would like
> > to have more users when we have something to provide after all.
>
> It would be very nice if it were fast enough. However, Tuomas'
> original reason for not using an OpenGL interface from Java was speed
> -- I understood that JNI has an overhead that we cannot afford for
> every OpenGL call. Has that changed?

Well, yes there is architechtural difference between games and fenfire.
In games there is usually some kind of 3d environment, e.g., map, hall,
tunnel etc. and player has a position within the environment.
Now ideally when games draw the environment, it's not construct from
smallest drawing primitives everytime. Instead, first the position is set
then one executes a kind of procedure call to draw the environment, e.g.,
glCallList(environment);

In fenfire there are moving coordinates. It's not possible to use such one
jni call to draw glCallList(oneVobScene) because of animation. In
animation the coordinates may be changing all the time. In gl libvob one
vob can be call list. That's the biggest drawing primitive
which can be made to use drawing procedures.

Finally, there's one relief. In games the environment is usually
constructed from thousands of small things but in fenfire the count of
things is lower. So we have more time to work on coordinates.

> Are you volunteering? :-)

I'm volunteering with limited time as usually ;-)

   -Matti