Re: [Fenfire-dev] Yet another libvob API: LWJGL

From: Tuukka Hastrup
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] Yet another libvob API: LWJGL
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 02:05:41 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Matti Katila wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Tuukka Hastrup wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Matti Katila wrote:
> There are different versions of OpenGL and different extensions. All
> nice shader things can not be done with smallest versions or missing
> extension. But I'm sure that everything that can be done with AWT can be
> done ten times faster with OpenGL.

As long as you're not including sofware rendering, I can easily believe
you.

> What kind of benchmark or comparing method you suggest? If there's a
> missing binding the developers were interested in to add it.
> That was the impression they give me at #LWJGL.

I don't know exactly, but I suppose something that's similar to how
Fenfire would stress the interface. Perhaps a "Fenfire demo" that builds a
scene like we would in reality and then animates it to see how
much resources it takes.

> > You know that OpenGL and the bindings are made for games and Fenfire has
> > different requirements. I'm not sure - has the speed been an issue also
> > with the GLAPI? It could be that a lot of stuff is written in C++ simply
> > to put the line between Java and C++ in the same place as between Libvob
> > use and Libvob implementation.
>
> I's rather difficult to say whether speed becomes an issue. Like I respond
> to Benja, in games there are a lot to draw but after all they can be drawn
> in bigger chunks. With Fenfire there's less to draw but it has to be
> done in smaller chunks. I hope we get enough time to compute coordinates
> too.

Right, was one of the requirements to have as few JNI calls per frame as
possible? And was this a reason why none of the wrappers would do, as
they concentrate on games? Perhaps that part of Fenfire could find its way
to one of the other wrappers.

--
-- Trying to catch me? Just follow up my Electric Fingerprints
-- To help you: address@hidden