[Fenfire-dev] RDF and WWW

From: Matti Katila
Subject: [Fenfire-dev] RDF and WWW
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 19:42:57 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

I have been thinking the use of RDF in WWW slighty. Well, to anyone who
knows RDF also knows that it is mainly used in WWW and thus my idea is
kind of ridiculous ;-)   I guess that what I am thinkin is something
between dynamic and static pages. That is, if site goes down one can
construct a latest snapshot of the information with, e.g., python script
with the help of archive.org. But by default the pages can dynamically be
seen on server.

The application intended for this method would replace the SQL server
needed in the background of WWW and replace it with RDF graph files.
The graph files could be recorded in darcs repository to be easily
accessible.

The problem would be ideally views. As I see it, there would be known
form of graph - vocabulary - to describe a view which would transform the
source graph to html.

The application I was thinking is free dictionary from english to finnish
in the subject of computers. ATK-sanakirja (http://sanakirja.ttlry.fi/)
seems not to fulfill the free option and neither is it as complete as they
say. But anyway, I don't want to blame them in anyway. Also, you really
can not transparently see the process of accepting new words. I think with
RDF one could easily refer to other proposed options for words and
also why one of these options were accepted, when and by who.

The transformation to static pages could be done as follows. In the root
there would be just index.html pointing to some page. All directories
under root would be views and any sub-directory to view directory would be
parameter(s). View could link to other view.

/index.html   - redirect to some more sophisticated page.
/index        - Index, or table of contents view directory.
/index/a      - index view with parameter a...z.
/index/b
/index/c
   :
   :
/index/z
/word/hardware/comments  - Comments of the word hardware.

Well, I am just throwing in ideas as usually.

   -Matti