[Fenfire-dev] atrociously

From: Frederik Pearce
Subject: [Fenfire-dev] atrociously
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 01:02:13 -0400

But Donne survived theperils of middle age by virtue of the acuteness and ardour of hisintellect. Thus the Arcadia, bywilfully flouting all contact with the fact, gains another reality. But when thecharm of that childish device falls flat, there is no breath leftto fill his sails. Had she despised him, had she hated him, it would have been better. For the Dean still retained theincorrigible curiosity of his youth. But thisrealism is only to be applied to Nature and animals and peasants. Butalas, softness has weighed down our steps; brambles have caught atour clothing. Hisdevotions themselves were feverish and fitful. It breaks up the monotony andstrikes a high-light. Half dreaming, half yawning, we prepare toseek the elder brother of death. Obviously, then, we must alterour attitude. Mere rhythm we feelas we sweep over the smooth backs of the undulating sentencesintoxicates him. It is this inequality and elasticity that lend their freshness toSidneys vast pages. ROBINSON CRUSOEThere are many ways of approaching this classical volume; but whichshall we choose? Donnes genius was precisely the opposite of this. Eventhe prose-writers have the same habit of aggrandisement. He has attainedhis end; but he is weaker and worse than the horse or the bull. Half dreaming, half yawning, we prepare toseek the elder brother of death. Oworld, of what slight and thin stuff is thy happiness! He is said tohave been a hosier; but what, after all, was a hosier in theseventeenth century? Donnes genius was precisely the opposite of this. We who wished to escape havebeen caught and enmeshed. Even for the Sidneys and the Pembrokes lifewas not quite like that. Then, behold, something floats onthe waters. Oworld, of what slight and thin stuff is thy happiness! Andthen the novelist Sidney suddenly opens his eyes. We realize more clearly the boundaries within which Sidney wasworking. In the Arcadia, as in some luminous globe, all the seeds of Englishfiction lie latent. But keepes the earth her round proportion still?