[Fenfire-dev] idiosyncrasy

From: Raphael Stanford
Subject: [Fenfire-dev] idiosyncrasy
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:50:02 +0530

By itself, he said, pain is not always enough.
In another moment he would hear the tramp of boots outside. Its actual appearance wasfrightening, and not merely the fact that he knew it to be himself. He set to work to exercise himself in crimestop. All the while, with one part of his mind, he wondered how soon they wouldshoot him. What knowledge have we ofanything, save through our own minds? The zipfastener had long since been wrenched out of them.
Suchthoughts as he had when he was awake were mostly about his dreams.
If you have come upfrom deep water it is not cowardly to fill your lungs with air. He knew that he was in the wrong, buthe preferred to be in the wrong. Winston undid the bit of string that held his overalls together. It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias thatthe old reformers imagined.
A bowed, grey-coloured,skeleton-like thing was coming towards him.
Then what is it, this principle that will defeat us?
You have had thoughts of deceiving me, he said. There will be no loyalty, exceptloyalty towards the Party.
I have pressed the first lever, said OBrien.
If you are fallingfrom a height it is not cowardly to clutch at a rope. What knowledge have we ofanything, save through our own minds? It was merely abrief announcement from the Ministry of Plenty. Winston sat in his usual corner, gazing into an empty glass. The rats were fighting; they were trying to get at eachother through the partition.
Within quite a small time theywill strip it to the bones.
The word you are trying to think of is solipsism.
He rememberedremembering contrary things, but those were false memories, products ofself-deception.