Re: [Fenfire-dev] still in progress?

From: Matti Katila
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] still in progress?
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 01:09:23 +0200

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your mail. As you have noticed Fenfire is a separate project from Xanadu. While ZigZag (the data structure model of Xanadu) uses connected linear lists as its structure, Fenfire uses RDF graph. What is left from Xanadu ideas are xanalogical content or links, e.g. copy-pasting refers to original content instead of just copying content. The difference between projects, well, raw visualization of linear spaces was a bit easier to navigate with ZigZag like structure, since humans get easily lost in graph structure as there is no clear direction. To my understanding views should be specific to data structure and point of view to provide best value for user. This, however, makes it difficult to produce general purpose data tool.

Your question/wondering about what's happening is easily answered: mostly nothing. Ideas of Fenfire live but none is working on code level, at least to my knowledge and codebase is getting rotten. Fenfire was originally built with Java. After Tuomas understood how cool accelerated graphics is native C++ side was added to add OpenGL support. Benja and Tuukka did some work on Haskell implementation.

The principal ideas of Fenfire are very simple. It should not be huge push to implement Fenfire but the work is still lot of hours and one of the problems is that to different people Fenfire means different things. If the purpose is to write academic papers about Fenfire, it might be interesting to one people; if the purpose is to provide easy to use tool that human kind can benefit, it is interesting to multiple people. For a very small team the future of Fenfire might be web related implementation. There is circa 10 years from active development and time has passed. Today we can implement WebGL based unique papers with static _javascript_ which used to need tenths of files to build the software stack (http://mudyc.github.io/uniq-paper.js/). Today there exists many RDF database implementations and time for building Fenfire for web will mostly take less time.

Best regards,

   -Matti