ff3d-users

[ff3d-users] Conjugate Gradients solver: question?!

From: Arun Viswanathan
Subject: [ff3d-users] Conjugate Gradients solver: question?!
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 18:14:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all, I have a question for you Stephane (others
are ofcourse most welcome to 'enlighten' me on this
issue).

When I run my ff3d code, I see that the Conjugate
Gradients method is used to solve the PDEs. I also see
that for each time the solver is run (my solver is in
a iterative for-loop) my CG method is run for a
different number of iterations. For instance, in the
first loop iteration, my solver iterates say 12 times,
then in the second loop iteration the solver is run 16
times....in the 6th loop iteration, the solver runs 32
times.... Now, I understood from this that for each
for-loop iteration, my solver runs until it reaches
convergence (Please correct me if I am wrong here).
So, this would mean that in the above example, the 1st
loop iteration needs 12 solver iterations to converge,
the 2nd needs 16 and the 6th needs 32. Am I right in
my understanding of the solver??

Do we have any control over the number of times the
solver runs for each loop iteration? Can we set the
solver such that the CG method is performed a specific
number of times in each for-loop iteration??

Please do clarify, would really appreciate your
thoughts on this issue. Thanks, best regards,
Arun.