ff3d-users

[ff3d-users] Specifying Initial Conditions

From: Rogers, Carl Edward
Subject: [ff3d-users] Specifying Initial Conditions
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:34:48 -0500

I'm new to FF3D so this may be a simple-minded question:

I'm trying to set up the 3 dimensional heat equation dC/dt = d/dx(D*dC/dx)
where x is the position vector. I've basically tried to set it up as Arun
Viswanathan did in his posts entitled "Code to solve Fick's law, what's
wrong?". My question is that Arun specified his initial concentration C0 as a
continuous function C0=x*y*z. Is it possible in FF3D to discretely intialize
each element? I'd like to set up a uniform concentration and then specify a
small region in the center as having 0 concentration. By solving the time
iterations I'd be tracking the transient diffusion of the concentration into
the region. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Carl

Rogers, Carl Edward
Vanderbilt University
Email: address@hidden