ff3d-users

Re: [ff3d-users] Modification of the domain during run time

From: Stephane Del Pino
Subject: Re: [ff3d-users] Modification of the domain during run time
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:39:06 +0100

Emilio Melero García wrote:
Hi everyone!!

I have a question to all of you see if any of you can help me. I am concerned with a problem in which the volumes defining my domain should change with time (trying to model very simplistic crystal nucleation and growth). Any suggestion of how can i try it with ff3d? do you know of any other free FEM code that would allow this?
Hello.

A short answer is yes. However a better description of the problem that you want to solve would help. 1) If you have a tetrahedrized mesh of your problem, you can use the 'transform' keyword to compute a new mesh and then solve your equation with it : if 'm' is a (tetrahedrized) mesh
        m = tetrahedrize([f1,f2,f3],m);
will use the field [f1,f2,f3] to move the nodes of the mesh 'm' and will store it in a new version of 'm'

2) if you want to use fictitious domain method, it is implemented only if you use an analytic description of the domain (not POVRay) :

for instance for a sphere centered in 0 and of radius 1

        domain d; // domain is undefined here
        function ki = one(sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2));
        d = domain(ki>0.5);

then solve your PDE using the domain 'd'.
Then if you can compute a new 'ki' you can redefine the domain in a loop for instance.

The modification of a povray file is not possible up to now but it will be implemented in the future.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,
Stephane.