ff3d-users

Re: [ff3d-users] VRML input and complicated shapes

From: Stephane Del Pino
Subject: Re: [ff3d-users] VRML input and complicated shapes
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:02:02 +0200

Hello Dimitrios,

Le jeudi 25 octobre 2007, Dimitrios Eftaxiopoulos a écrit :
> 1) Can freefem3d handle complicated geometrical shapes, e.g a bone?
Yes. The question is how do you plan to get this geometry? There are two ways
in ff3d to deal with complex geometries:
- using the fictitious domain approach
  * using a POVRay description, or
  * using the characteristic function of the domain (a function which is 1
inside the domain and 0 outside)
- using an unstructured grid generated by an external tool. Two formats are
recognized (the INRIA mesh format and gmsh format).

> 2) VTK exports scenes in the VRML format, not the POV format. Will it be
> possible in the future to import VRML format scenes in ff3d directly?
Well. This might occur once, but up to now the POVRay format is not complete
in ff3d and this is not something I planed to do soon. Consider that if no
one takes this task it will not occur (soon).

Best regards,
Stéphane.