fhsst-bio

[Fhsst-bio] Thoughts on WikiBooks and volunteers

From: Mark Horner
Subject: [Fhsst-bio] Thoughts on WikiBooks and volunteers
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 15:28:00 -0700

Hi all

I have been looking through the history of edits on WikiBooks - something I do from time to time (I am not sure why I find it a fascinating read but I can tell you the cookbook is very popular).

I have noticed that the FHSST Physics book has had corrections made to it by a number of people. More importantly the same people have been coming back over a period of weeks adding/correcting more content. Its slow but it makes me very optimistic about starting the Biology book on WikiBooks from
scratch.

In addition I have scrounged up two more volunteers for Biology - both postgraduate students at UCT. The Microbiology and Biochemistry departments at UCT are HUGE (compared to Physics anyway). So there
is a huge potential pool of volunteers.

I am going to email them more details but I am very optimistic that things will go very well (it will probably be our fastest book).

Cheers,

Mark