fhsst-physics

[Fhsst-physics] Getting optic.tex to fit!

From: marcuirl
Subject: [Fhsst-physics] Getting optic.tex to fit!
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:58:38 +0100

[Mark, this might be of interest to the other sciences/maths etc! But
I have forgotten the `top' address list]

Hi guys,

Short version:

You will need to install pst-optics (http://tinyurl.com/6yptp) to
view the optics chapter. If you are not interested in the optics stuff
then you can comment out the \input{optics} line in main.tex for the
time being!

Long version:

You cannot imagine the problems I had yesterday evening and this
morning trying to get the optics chapter to play with the already
functioning chapters!

Location of the chapter and order of loading packages are non-linearly
coupled and I cannot find a rule to fix this without modifying files!

The error is connected with the use of IFact environment which for
some reason deletes the default values of LensSize, Rotation and
Magnification after IFact is used or at least pst-optic cannot see
them. So to minimise the changes to the physics section as a whole I
have spent a very long time trying to arrive at the fix below:

pst-optics.tex

102,106c102
< address@hidden@Size{#1}}
< address@hidden@Magnification{#1}}
< address@hidden@Rotation{#1}}
<
<
\psset{xLeft=-7.5,xRight=7.5,yBottom=-3.0,yTop=3.0,LensRotation=0,LensSize=1,LensMagnification=1}
---
> \psset{xLeft=-7.5,xRight=7.5,yBottom=-3.0,yTop=3.0}

It now works but is not a pretty solution. The future:

Mark, is the chapter order finalised and set in stone? I know I'm late
on board with this but optics as last is not really a logical place
for it and the physics will be out of whack a bit too! If I get time
I'll try and debug this optics problem better! A stationary chapter
ordering would help me a lot though!

Mark.

P.S. I added some shortcuts to defines.tex also, \eg, \cf, \etc They
might be of use to you all.

--
Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my
personal opinions and not those of any organisation with