fhsst-physics

[Fhsst-physics] FHSST on Wikibooks

From: Mark
Subject: [Fhsst-physics] FHSST on Wikibooks
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:00:56 -0800

Hi Physics and Maths teams

I have been in contact with the Shuttleworth Foundation and they want to take whatever content we have
and migrate it to wikibooks starting on the 12th of January.

I would like to get as much done by then as possible. I'll send an email to the authors list making another appeal for
help over the next month.

The books don't have to be finished when they go on wikibooks but the more complete the better in my opinion. There are pros and cons to the wiki and I've been thinking about it a bit - here are some of my thoughts and proposals:

* The wikibooks version will always be evolving, as is the nature of a wiki, and I will recommend people use it as a base
to develop their own content rather than a final book
* We will still produce a static final book in both pdf and html format - this is the book we will print and distribute * The two versions will diverge in time but if people add to our wikibooks version we can always move content into our
books easily
* The wiki may make it easier for us to get many small contributions which could in the long run amount to a fair amount of content as
most of the 550 odd pages we have arrived in small sections.
* If you look at the books that are on wikibooks you'll see that what we have is already more mature than any of the "equivalent" books on wikibooks
so we will be adding to wikibooks in a significant way
* The Shuttleworth Foundation will bear the burden of converting the book and negotiating with wikibooks so this makes
our lives much easier.

On the whole I think it is a good thing and would good publicity as the Shuttleworth Foundation have negotiated with wikibooks that
we have our own bookshelf and we can co-brand the content :)

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Horner Jabber/AIM/Yahoo: marknewlyn
Co-author:
http://www.nongnu.org/fhsst
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/fhsst

"Life is but a seg-fault away ...

Life received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x42074d40 in calloc () from /lib/i686/liblife.so.6"