Re: [Fle3-users] After upgrading...

From: janne . pietarila
Subject: Re: [Fle3-users] After upgrading...
Date: Mon Sep 16 04:32:02 2002

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 10:26:55AM -0600, David Wiley wrote:
> Ok! Found it. Here's the problem. BTW, people seem to be able to keep
> adding comments to the system, and I can get into the Knowledge Building
> through links on my WebTop or by cheating through other people's
> WebTops, so it's not entirely broken... I just can't see the top-level
> list under Knowledge Building.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for traceback and extra information; now it is easy to say
what the problem is.

First some explanations how state is handled in Fle3. We don't use
cookies, all information is saved to the server or in the URL. Using
URL makes it possible to have several browser windows open and each
have its own state (e.g. you might have two views of Course index page
where course contexts are sorted differently). This is a reason that
URL looks something like this:

http://server/some/path?maybe_something_here&state_url=strange_string

So state information is saved in the part "state_url=strange_string".

However, some users did not like that the state was lost when you quit
the browser. So now state_url is saved _also_ to the server. Each time
Fle3 needs some state information it first checks URL for state_url. But
if URL does not have state_url, saved information is fetched from the
server (and put into URL, so next time state_url is found from URL).

Back to your actual problem! Your state_url is for some reason invalid.
To get rid of it, go to your webtop and change URL from:

http://server/path/?state_url=something

to:

http://server/path/?state_url=7,4wt_sortname

after which everything should work.

Unfortunaly I can't they why your URL got corrupted. I would appreciate
if you could send your URL (or state_url part of it) before doing the
fix above.

--
Janne Pietarila