Re: [Fle3-users] voting as part of FLE for the future?

From: Teemu Leinonen
Subject: Re: [Fle3-users] voting as part of FLE for the future?
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:20:07 +0300

Hi,

It's really nice that we are having almost philosophical discussion in the Fle3 users list and not only writing about installation problems and different versions of Python. :-)

Comments to the voting issue.

Giedre Kligyte wrote:
Our development team's
position is that voting should be used only in the worst case: when all the
possibilities to reach an agreement are exhausted.

I very much agree with Giedre. In democratic decisions making voting is the final method used if the group can not reach compromise in a negotiation. The group can use voting if there are several well-grounded competitive proposals. Only the chairperson holds right to make a closure and put the competitive proposals to the vote. In Fle3 should the teacher/tutor hold a right to introduce a voting tool in some stage? Maybe not. Voting can be done outside Fle3, as well.

Of course, Fle3 is an Open Source environment and that enables you to
develop the tools that you think are missing. However, I believe that voting
tool is not on the priority list for us..

Some groups have already integrate Fle3 to the Plone Content Management System (http://www.plone.org). I guess in Plone there is already some kind of "voting" tool used in many portals.

Actually some kind of surveys and questionnaires can be used in very clever way in online learning. For instance a course can start so that all the participants will answer to some questionnaire that will map their attitudes and thoughts of the course topics. The results can then be used as the starting point for the knowledge building. Hmm...well.. actually this is no more voting.

        - Teemu

Hi FLE team and others:

Is there a way to make "voting" part of FLE too? I've been working with the
open source effort called eVote -- http://www.Deliberate.com. It is now an
add-on for both Mailman (version specific) and Majordomo (1.9x). The "clerk"
component of this software listens and records votes so that the list
manager can't fudge (cheat) the results.

It would be great to have a voting add on that also leaned upon eVote.

I've found that teachers, principals and others in authority do not like
"voting." But, I'm hopeful that the learning can be shared in a community
setting. That makes the vote very important.

Perhaps this can be put onto the radar for the future?

What do the others feel about 'voting' as a software tool -- and perhaps its
conflicts with most educational models? Is there a trap in this pathway?
Reactions welcomed.

Ta.

Mark Rauterkus

Teemu Leinonen