Re: [Fle3-users] What does it use "jamming" for?

From: Teemu Leinonen
Subject: Re: [Fle3-users] What does it use "jamming" for?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:12:33 +0300

Hello César,

It's good that you challenge us to explain how the different tools of Fle3 can be used in collaborative learning.

Jamming is not a map or concept map too. Jamming is a tool for collaborative construction of digital artefacts - as we call it. This means that a study group can take some digital artefact (text, picture, audio, video, software) under jamming and work on developing the artefact together.

The terms jamming and jam session comes from jazz music. In jazz music, jam session is an unrehearsed or improvised session of creating music. In a jam session a group of musicians starts to play some theme and then they vary it. The point is that, simultaneously when playing the song, they also compose and develop it further.

Actually, I assume (yes I am not a musicology) that before people started to write music in notes, all music played in groups use to be jamming. I would also claim, that still most of the music played around the world is done in "jam sessions". Musicians are free to vary the song played, although everybody is playing the same song.

Also graphic artist and designers talk about jamming when they design and create graphics and visual elements together. The jam session of graphic artists can be carried out e.g. with a white board and a marker pens.

When I was working for a while in the department of mathematics, I noticed that also mathematician were jamming with a white board and marker pens in the coffee room of the department by solving mathematical problems together. Everybody got an access to the problem, and got a right to make modifications to the mathematical operation presented in there. For non mathematician of the department (like me) the coffee breaks were pretty boring. No conversation or chatting, just staring at the white board and once in a while doing some changes to the formulas in there. Real jamming! :-)

The idea of jamming tool in Fle3 comes from the above practices of creative group work.

In practice, with Fle3, a group of students can for instance start a jam session to design a poster presenting their study results and finding of their work carried out with the Knowledge Building tool. They can pick-up the most important findings from the Knowledge Building, include pictures and make a presentation. The Jamming tool offers all participants an access to the file under development, possibility to make your own version of it (continue with your version) and comment the artefacts (annotate). In the Fle3 web site we write about the Jamming tool:

"A study group may work together with some digital artefacts by simply uploading and downloading files. Versions are tracked automatically and different versions are displayed graphically. Jamming can be used for many kind of collaborative work requiring versioning."

So far, we do not have a lot of empirical evidence on using of Jamming in real education setting. I have been using Jamming in one collaborative project where we are designing motor cycle helmet for women in India. The designers come from India, US and Finland. In some schools in Finland Jamming have been tested in primary school biology, so that students have collaboratively "build" the human body by adding different organs to a picture of human skeleton.

I hope this long explanation of Jamming will help you to plan activities using the tool with your own study group. Please, share your experiences with others in this mailing list, too.

Best regards,

        - Teemu

César Hernández Rosete wrote:
Dear list,

I continue using FLE and Colaborative Learning. I don't understand the
option "jamming". In your Documentation: "Fle3 User Manual" and "How do I
use Fle3 in my study course?" just learn to use jamming but you don't say:
How to apply it in the collaborative learning?.

Jamming is Map tool?. I don't believe it. Novak said that the components of
a conceptual map are: Concept, proposition and connection. For the
collaborative learning I have only used "Knowledge Building."

Please help me.

Thank you.

César.

Teemu Leinonen