Re: [Fle3-users] Theoretical framework

From: Teemu Leinonen
Subject: Re: [Fle3-users] Theoretical framework
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 01:15:53 +0300

Hi David,

David Le Blanc wrote:
I don?t know if this post suits the purposes of this listserv but here it is:

This is exactly the list for this kind of posting, if you ask me. I would like to see more non technical discussion on this list, as well.

I am interested in the theoretical framework that has supported the development of Fle3. I am currently doing research in Activity Theory and see Fle3 as a tool that aligns well with many key characteristics, proponents of the theory would espouse. Does anyone know if development of Fle3 has been informed by a certain theoretical framework?

The theoretical framework of Fle3 design and development is progressive inquiry (Hakkarainen 1998), which is closely related to the social constructivist theory (Vygotsky 1978). Basing on Vygotsky's work we also have sympathy to activity theory :-)

Actually, I am right now writing an article about using Fle3 to change the educational practice, or educational activity system as you may call it, too. In the article I am using the Engeström's (1987) famous triangle. In the triangle Fle3 is naturally the instrument, student's and teacher's are the subject and knowledge the object. I also present some scenarios where the nodes of the educational activity system are favourable for use of Fle3. Through cases it is also easy to image system in which Fle3 is not the right instrument. I am now wrapping up the article and looking for journal or book to publish it. I can send you the article if you are interested in.

We are also planning to compile a book about Fle3 in different study subjects and environments. Maybe you could write an article about your Java course - there is not that many where Jamming is really used. All inputs for the book from the mailing list are most welcome.

Some links:

1. This was written in 1999. It already describes the framework and the basic ideas behind Fle3: Leinonen, T., Muukkonen, H., Hakkarainen, K., Mielonen, S. (2000): Supporting Learning Communities in Education. Paper presented at the European initiative in Intelligent Information Interfaces - i3 Spring Days Athens, Greece. March 1-2, 2000.
Article in pdf (1.2 MB)
http://www2.uiah.fi/~tleinone/teemu_leinonen_supporting.pdf

2. The research group designing and developing Fle3:
Learning Environments for Progressive Inquiry Research Group, UIAH Media Lab University of Art and Design
http://fle3.uiah.fi/group/

3. Collaborator in the Fle3 development:
Centre for Research on Networked Learning and Knowledge Building
http://www.helsinki.fi/science/networkedlearning/eng/

4. Our neighbours:
Center for Activity Theory and Developmental Work Research
http://www.edu.helsinki.fi/activity/

Best regards,

        - Teemu
Teemu Leinonen