Re: [fluid-dev] Fluid Synth CC1 Tremolo

From: Marcus Weseloh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluid Synth CC1 Tremolo
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 10:13:54 +0200

Hi David,

Am Di., 7. Juli 2020 um 09:44 Uhr schrieb David Back <csw900@yahoo.co.uk>:
> Taking your last point first: If you have ever used a midi editor you would
> soon realise that midi channels DO contain midi events. The channel number
> contained in most events merely associates the event with a particular
> channel.

Ok, I think I understand where the confusion comes from. If you think
about MIDI channels and events as they are represented in MIDI
editors, then your point makes some sense. The user interface of
editors usually give you the impression that events are contained in
channels, because that makes editing and understanding the concepts
easier to grasp for the user. But that is not the level of abstraction
we are dealing with here. At the API level, we are at a much lower
level of abstraction. In this context, it makes no sense to say that
channels contain events. But that doesn't mean that those channels are
not MIDI channels, it is simply a different context and concept.

> Why don't you all relent, admit you are wrong, and change the synth
> documentation to indicate that the synth inputs are SYNTH channels i.e.
> FSchans as I have called them.

Quite frankly: that is a weird (and a little rude) question to ask.
You seem to imply that we argue against your point for the sake of it.
But that is not the case... I think your argument isn't valid because
it comes from the wrong level of abstraction and is based on contexts
that are not applicable here.

Cheers
Marcus