[fluid-dev] RPi "graininess"

From: Ben Gonzales
Subject: [fluid-dev] RPi "graininess"
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 09:45:33 +1100

Hi all.

I want to play my recently-purchased WARBL wind controller at my local recorder music group, and I am using a RPi 3 with a HiFiBerryDAC+ sound card with FluidSynth 2.1.6 compiled from source.

I am getting a "graininess" in the output at low volume. It sounds a bit like a loose connection on the speaker (but it isn't that). What happens is when a play a steady long note at CC2 of, say, 30 I hear step changes in the volume. OK, I can't hold perfectly constant pressure, but I don't hear the same things on other synths. It happens with different soundfonts (so it's not the soundfont), and it happens with different wind controllers (not just the WARBL). It doesn't happen at higher CC2s above, say, 60.

I have tried putting a smoothing function into the incoming CC2s, and that helps, but I don't like doing that.

Are there any settings that I should be adjusting?

Ben