Re: [fluid-dev] Soundfonts DO need an initial pitch wheel sensitivity ge

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Soundfonts DO need an initial pitch wheel sensitivity generator
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 20:29:30 +0200

Sorry Lorenzo, you seem to have understood me completely wrong.

> I feel pitch bend sensitivity should not be defined by the synth

I wasn't suggesting that the synth defines it. However, I was
suggesting to allow the soundfont designer to set a reasonable
"initial" bend range for a particular instrument. Just like the
soundfont designer has the ability to set a reasonable initial
attenuation for an instrument.

> It is de facto standard that by default the range is +/- 2 semitones, so
> changing
> the default could be confusing and break existing MIDI (and MIDI-based
> sequencer / DAW) files.

I wasn't suggesting to change that default defined by the MIDI spec.
As I've explained before, my change would be fully backward compatible
in that manner.

I don't see how your hardware argument is relevant, as the hardware
shouldn't care whether the pitch bend rage comes from the soundfont
file itself, or implicitly via the MIDI spec.

The argument of a lacking precision is irrelevant, as this is not
related to the question where an "initial" pitch bend range is
defined.

Tom