forge-main

Re: [Forge-main] Re: Hello

From: Ricardo Gladwell
Subject: Re: [Forge-main] Re: Hello
Date: 31 Oct 2002 12:50:04 +0000

Hi Enrique,

It is good to hear from you. I'm glad to see you are willing

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 20:42, Enrique Perez wrote:
> Greetings, my name is Enrique and I'd like to work on the arcane
> items and spells part of forge.
> For about a year I've been writing up magic items at:
> http://members.axion.net/~enrique/experimentalists.html

Thanks for your offer of help for arcane items and spells. Fantasy Forge
will require such contributions, so your efforts will be gratefully
received.

At the moment though, we need a basic system which means completing
Basic Forge before we even get started on Fantasy Forge. Most
importantly we need to get the basic dice mechanics sorted so,
respectfully, if anyone has any ideas for this (I'm fresh out :) I would
be most grateful.

> meant for the d20 system, once forge is underway I'd like to
> incorporate them into that system.
> They're all under the gnu free documentation license.

It looks good :) However, I am not sure if it is legal for you to
publish d20-derived material under the GNU FDL. Most of the magic items
and spell descriptions can be published under the GNU FDL, but the
rules-based stuff, like feat prerequisites and so forth really belong
under the OGL.

> My preferred format is html for text and png for graphics.

I can certainly export material to HTML. Good to hear you are supporting
PNG. It is not only a free and open standard, but its much better than
GIF.

> As far as how to compare the power
> between different types of abilities, one way is to pick the most
> powerful possible from each and consider those to be of equal level.
> So, for example, mass domination would be equal in power to
> really big fireball, shape change, resurrection, permanent
> programmable illusion, know thought and
> teleport anywhere. This would be different in different types of worlds,
> for instance in ours, the
> most powerful evocation is nuke, more powerful than realy big fireball,
> while the fastest
> transport is ballistic rocket, way slower than teleport; but, overall
> this still gives you a
> starting point.

Thanks for your input here. The problem with your approach is that its
very subjective and different campaigns have different ideas about power
levels. For example, in a low-tech world healing powers are more
powerful than in a high-tech world where the same effects can be
achieved by a quick visit to the A&E ward. This is why the domains
mechanic I've presented and used in many other games is so useful - it
allows you to redefine the basic power levels for each application of
the rules.

--
Ricardo Gladwell
       little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."