forge-main

Re: [Forge-main] Re: Mechanics

From: Ricardo Gladwell
Subject: Re: [Forge-main] Re: Mechanics
Date: 09 Nov 2002 18:06:28 +0000

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 23:52, Enrique Perez wrote:
> Actually in my opinion the real difference is whether we use 2dx, 1dx or 1dx
> exploding. We could
> go with a d10 system and just have a small appendix to show how to convert to
> a d6 system for

I think an appendix of alternative resolution systems would be in order,
including one for d6 and even a diceless one.

> So overall, I'd like to go with ability + trait + circumstance + exploding
> d10 versus target
> difficulty. Plus have a really small appendix to show people how they can
> play this with six
> siders.

The problem with exploding d10 is that it negates the rules for critical
successes (which I rather liked) although it does replace critical
successes with improved rolls and the potential to do really well.

Another issue with exploding d10 is that it creates an open-ended
system. A regular d10 means that difficulties have a fixed range of
0-20. Exploding d10 means that difficulties pf 20+ are possible. Some
people like open-ended systems like these, others don't. Not sure which
I prefer. Thoughts people?

Finally, on the issue on bonuses: should we add bonuses to rolls
(open-ended) of simply have bonuses that modify the difficulty (closed).
In some ways it makes sense to modify the difficulty (factors reduce how
hard the task is), although adding bonuses and subtracting penalties to
the roll is more intuitive, as opposed to subtracting bonuses and adding
penalties to the difficulty.

--
Ricardo Gladwell
       little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."