forge-main

Re: [Forge-main] Skills List [LONG]

From: Ed Spader
Subject: Re: [Forge-main] Skills List [LONG]
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:52:06 -0800 (PST)

First, I have read through all of the old posts for
the past 3 months, as well as the core ruleset as it
stands now and very much like what has been set thus
far.

--- Ricardo Gladwell <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Skill groups are also
> skills themselves,
> their rating equal to ever two skill ranks you have
> for sub-skills from
> that group. For example, a character with Art
> (Sculpture) 3 and Art
> (Dancing) 2 has a basic skill of 2 in Arts. If he
> has no skill in a
> particular Art he can substitute his basic Arts
> skill instead.

By this, do you mean that the skill group is an
average of skills contained within the group? If yes,
then I would agree that this is the way to go, and I
very much like the concept. For example, a PC with
skills in sculpture and dancing (art) would be more
adept at attempting a skill he/she does not currently
have, but falls under the art category (for example,
painting). In other words, the PC has some skills in
art and would perform better than a PC with no art
skills.

> Animals
> Arts
> Crafts
> Cultures
> Language
> Knowledges
> Sciences
> Vehicles

I think a "Trades" or similarly-named skill would go
nicely here. Unless that fits under Knowledges.