forge-main

Re: [Forge-main] Re: Skills List [LONG] (Ricardo Gladwell)

From: Ricardo Gladwell
Subject: Re: [Forge-main] Re: Skills List [LONG] (Ricardo Gladwell)
Date: 11 Dec 2002 15:44:14 +0000

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 17:30, Enrique Perez wrote:
> There is the minor issue that an additive scale will lead to
> slightly higher skill levels; but,that can easily be compensated
> for by raising the target difficulties. To minimize the complexity
> if we choose to use skill groups, every skill has to be a part of
> a skill group and there should be no sub skill groups or especially
> sub sub skill groups:)

I have to say, after working so ahrd to keep the difficulty range within
the intuitive, human-readable 0-20 range I am extremely reluctant to
break it - it was one of the original design criteria. I hate to say it,
but both methods appear, on analysis, to have their flaws.

Another suggestion would be to simply have the skills groups as they
were (collections of related skills, such as Animals(Horse),
Animals(Dog) and so on) without the generic skills (Animals) and instead
have an optional substitution rule - you can subsitute a skill from your
group for another skill in the same group, if you don't have it, but
only if you make the action at a -3 penalty to difficulty.

How does that sounds?

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community