formuleweb-general

[Formuleweb-general] toll emeritus

From: Fred Ingram
Subject: [Formuleweb-general] toll emeritus
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:46:18 +0200

And they shook hands in an almost perfunctory way.
Just how matters stood at her house, was hard to tell. I am no speculator, he said briefly and forbiddingly.
Well, and why did you not come up right away? He wasseeking for a diversion; he had had a glimpse into a self-torturednature; no lovely sight. Thehouseholders in whose yards they worked came out, looking on andtalking to Pete. He was all the angrier since he saw thatJohn was half convinced of the justice of his reproach.
During the winter that followed he aged greatly: he felt verylonesome. Half the purpose of his whole existence was gone. I am no speculator, he said briefly and forbiddingly.
We are not used to the early hours of the farm.
As the morning advanced and daylight came, the town awoke.
If God had ordained things that way, perhaps there was a meaning init, a purpose?
John Elliot shot her a glance and resumed his impatient walk.
So, after a while, his anger changed into self-pity. Beyond the train stood a line of freight cars one of which wasloaded with cord wood.
Unreasonably, John Elliot felt neglected. And, with a sudden _expression_ of grimness, he added, Im bachingit.
On the way back to the station Pete asked,Are you getting hungry? Howden wont commit himself, John went on after a while.
They went to the back door of the house and, through a shed,entered the kitchen.
At least he has always made a livingfor himself and for me and the children. And again they sat on the empty rack, driving back to the freight-yard. Pete threw the harness over the horses, leavingtheir blankets on them for protection underneath. Oh well, there may be some explanation, of course.
When they stopped at last, Pete said, Another day gone. Yes, he said slowly, hanging his head and raisinghis hands in a sideways motion. When it was finished, John Elliot looked at his big silver watch.
Johns intonation was hinting at all that he didnot say.
It was a wonder, so thesettler said, that the whole blooming town had not beendestroyed.
Gladys said and shut her mouth on the words in a thin,straight line. But most of all he was angry; he felt aggrieved.
So, after five days of rest, Isabelwent to work again, with twins on her hand.
Harvey; for Kenneth hadgone to Kicking Horse to get the doctor who arrived too late. When he entered the parlour, it seemed less large than he hadexpected. As they did so, Woodrow said apologetically, You must excuse us,father.