free-dev

[Free-dev] unsuitable

From: Mabel Delgado
Subject: [Free-dev] unsuitable
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 04:12:16 +0300

Abe had never expected Ruth to do any farm work, not even to carrywater or fuel into the house.
But, still standing in his place, heshrugged his shoulders. I know its hard,living that way, all by yourself.
She sank into a chair by the door, covering her face with an apron.
It would have been hard todefine his _expression_.
Trouble is, Ill have to owe you themoney it costs. Plates wereinverted on the oilcloth of the table; cups in their saucers. Ihad nothing but a hand plough when I came.
Unless I know that Ican crop that fallow next year, I wont earn wages for my work. Theyll get past hereafter all this summer.
You, Nicoll said at last, were of course in a different positionwhen you arrived.
When they met again, Nicoll pursued the topic. Altogether, this was the most anxious winter he had spent on thefarm.
Listen here, he said, shaken, and his voice betrayed him.
There had been a time when both hadforeseen the coming estrangement and dreaded its approach.
Ivebeen watching these threshing outfits. Such curious, harrying thoughts could beshaken off only by desperate spurts of work. It was, of course, impossible to rogue three hundredacres of grain; he did what he could. But rather than stayalone, let niggers and Chinamen come.
The second outfit was visibly forging ahead. Come, Abe said to Ruth; and again he took her arm.
While you do your own work, farming is boundto pay.
Whenever Abelooked away for a second, he noticed the progress made in theinterval. Im buying more land and proving up on the homestead.
If all helpers were like Nicoll, it would not be bad.
The second outfit was visibly forging ahead. But Ruth wasconsciously isolating herself, making that a point of pride whichhad been a grievance.